Friday, December 13, 2013

Dig Out Your Great Aunt's Mink Stole....Fabulous In Fur Is Back!

I'm sure you've all been sitting around wondering when my Fabulous In Fur series would return. Especially since most of you have been shoveling snow or stuck indoors watching your favorite classic films due to the cold weather. Or maybe it's been so cold you said, to heck with it and went to pick up some milk in one of the furs you've been storing in the back of your closet for the past 20 years. If that's the case, I hope you made it back unharmed unless someone reported you to PETA in advance.

I've missed seeing our favorite glamorous dames in fur so lets get started.


Gene Tierney has gone fur crazy. Nothing said 40s glamour like a snow white fur with a matching mini top hat to match. Then things went really awry when the costume department stepped in and said, "This hat isn't quite bizarre or tall enough so lets add a giant flower!"  A full on Fur Palooza.

I like Greer Garson's moxy. If you're going to wear fur you might as well make it a huge one. Bulky enough that when you walk through a department store to show it off you knock everything over in your path. She's a fox wrecking ball!

Helen Twelvetree's fur wrap has given her so much confidence she's turned into a full on sex kitten.

I really didn't care for Rita as a blonde but seeing her bundled up and ready to be crated for the the trip to the Artic Circle makes up for a lot. (Thanks studio big wigs!)

Constance Bennett was the epitome of class at all times and she doesn't disappoint here as she gets ready to set sail. 

Jean Harlow was a pro at selling sex which this photo proves. I just wonder which actress would be silly enough to follow her here. Surely there isn't any actress who would dare attempt to try sexy after this.

Oh, Hello Joanie! Of course! Nice shoes and haircut.  Somewhere Franchot Tone was shaking his head and wondering the best way to leave the country.

Every fur post needs to have a sexpot like Jayne Mansfield. I do love the lace dress and the fur collar although I'm confused by the chair prop. Obviously the prop department was short on giant fountains or backdrops of topiaries in the shape of dollar signs. Go, Jayne!

Gloria Stuart. So demure and flawless. It would be wrong to snark on her here since she's working so hard to do seductive on a cheap diner chair.

Well, this is all of the snark and fur I have for you today. But good news! I just returned from my trip to Atlanta and I have three wonderful posts set up featuring some fabulous things I saw while there. First will be a post on The Georgian Terrace Hotel where many classic celebs stayed then of course The Fabulous Fox Theater and the Margaret Mitchell House Museum. So I do hope you'll come back for those posts. I'm also working to get out to LA to do some star interviews and a few house tours so see ya soon.

Oh, and which photo did you like the most or is there one that you would love to add some snark to? Please leave a comment and let me and my readers know what's on your mind.
Page

15 comments:

  1. Please tell me you have more Jean Harlow photos like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite was the Jean Harlow one, she knew how to showcase a fur like no one else! But the best comments were about Joan Crawford and Jayne Mansfield.
    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Le!
      I agree about Jean. She gave her publicity photos her all. (No pun intended) ha ha

      Joanie went through a phase early on with her hair that is baffling. Also, I really can appreciate Jayne's curves given how super thin the actresses are today.

      I hope you're enjoying your holidays.
      Page

      Delete
  3. Loved your description of Greer Garson as a fur/fox wrecking ball!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SS,
      I'm a bit surprised to see Greer in a huge fur but I'll just blame the studio publicity dept. ha ha
      Page

      Delete
  4. Some of our young 'stars' today need to take a look through this blog and learn how to behave with class and decorum. You can be sexy AND classy. Just look at Jean Harlow and Jayne Mansfield.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on that! Jayne and Jean stayed covered for the most part but then again, Jayne has a ton of bikini shots out there. lol Gorgeous ladies.
      Thanks for stopping by!
      Page

      Delete
  5. "I am constantly surprised that women's hats do not provoke more murders." - Sir Wilfred in "Witness for the Prosecution". He could have been speaking about that monstrosity foisted on poor Miss Tierney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW,
      The perfect quote! ha ha What in the world with Gene? It made for a great photo but it doesn't change the fact that is was truly awful! ha ha
      Page

      Delete
  6. Probably the only picture I've seen of Gene Tierney where I've not been mesmerized by that amazing face, but that contraption on top of her head. Thanks for the laugh of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev,
      Glad I could help! : ) Agree on your observations on Gene as well.
      Page

      Delete
  7. I didn't know whether to start eating Gene Tierney's hat with a spoon or take cover in case of an avalanche. Furs and fashion mix, furs and flowers not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christian,
      So true on the furs and flowers. It's just too bad that the costume department had to experiment with it on the flawless, Gene Tierney.
      Happy Holidays, Christian! : )
      Page

      Delete
  8. Greer looks like she's wearing a bearskin with the bear still in it! My gosh that's HUGE! These were all wonderful pictures, and of course your snarks always make me snort my coffee -- stop that, it hurts! Gene's hat -- good heavens that's ugly. My favorite is Jean Harlow. Boy, Miley Cyrus could take some lessons on what sexy really is! I've missed your articles a lot in my absence, but I'm back now and plan to enjoy every one. We gotta talk!

    ReplyDelete